Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The adventure I sought

I married a practical man.  A down-to-earth, responsible, and nearly unflappable man.   Adventuresome is not an adjective I would use to describe him, and so the heart within me that is ever searching for my own wardrobe into distant lands is having to find adventure in the nearby and not-so-crazy.

This last month has provided the opportunity for a few gray hairs, or perhaps something more...  To be honest neither my husband nor myself would mind a few gray hairs.  He would begin to look his age and I would have another blog-worthy anecdote.  I digress.  In the last month I have travelled hundreds of miles, seen Niagara Falls, bought a house, travelled a couple hundred more miles, sat at the hearth of dear friends, packed up my house, been evicted from current house by putrid dying rodent, returned to house and continued to pack up closets, clothes, and toys, and all during the record breaking heat that has swept the East Coast and tipped its hat to old friend North Carolina. 

We are tired.

Yet, as we piled children and suitcases back into the car the other night to seek refuge from the stench of a dying bat, Josh smiled at me.  "Life is an adventure," he said.

All I could do was smile back.  After all, I have asked for unexplored lands, whitewater rafting, trips to Europe, and perhaps a bareback ride through Colorado mountains.  Its hard not to see that saddling the Toyota with suitcases and sleeping next to our children in the proverbial campground of others' homes is quite an expedition.  Add to it that we are displaced and without waffle maker or frying pan for the next week and I let out a silent breath of laughter. 

Life is an adventure. 




2 comments:

  1. oh hannah - that makes me laugh. i married the guy who ALWAYS wants an adventure, but i am the one who gets to a hotel (even a MOtel), and immediately nests and puts everything we own into those drawers no one has ever used. i'm always "braced," because i know each saturday brings the sentence, "hey, why don't we go explore around ______" fill in the blank. really????! i just want to vacuum. doesn't God have a sense of humor...or something...when He pairs us up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah,
    Life is certainly an adventure and I can only imagine that motherhood is a holy new one- unfathomable to those of us inexperienced. But when you want to hit the hiking trails of Colorado or the hostiles of Europe. I am so your girl. Sean is a the less adventurous one in this outfit. But I definitely pictured myself spending my twenties traveling the world. I'll send Sean up there while we go exploring the wild unknown to help Josh with the boys. I'm sure that would be quite an adventure for him!

    ReplyDelete