Sunday, May 29, 2011

Dialogues to remember

Yesterday we were all piling in the car to head out for a birthday breakfast of blueberry pancakes at Midtown Cafe.  It is an old faithful for Josh and myself, we shared many pancake breakfasts when we were dating.  Now we are +2 little boys and a trip to Midtown requires more than just a wallet.  As Josh ventured back into the house to grab more diapers (mind you we already had pull ups, blankets, burp cloths, diaper cream, size 9 shoes spilling out of the doors and onto the driveway and lifesaving PFDs you know, just in case) Jonathan piped up with his invariable stream of questions.

Jonathan: Mama, where is Daddy going?
Hannah: Inside for more diapers.
Jonathan: Whaa-aat?
Hannah: Pañales. Más pañales. (translation: Diapers, more diapers.)

Now let me insert here that Jonathan does not like it when I speak Spanish.  He usually retorts with, "Mama, talk words." I, however, am determined to give him the elaborate gift of a second language daggumit, and sometimes I slip it in almost without thinking about it.  This was one of those times, and as I spoke I rifled through the piles of necessary items to make sure they were in order.  As I rifled, Jonathan started to frown.

Jonathan: Mama, that is not very nice to me and to William.

I had no idea what I had done.  How was fiddling with junk bothering them?? They are the reason for all this paraphernalia in the first place!

Hannah (whips around): Jonathan, WHAT is not nice? I have not done anything to you.
Jonathan: You are stressing. me. out.

At this point I could not help but laugh.

Hannah (through stifled giggles): Why am I stressing you out Jonathan?
Jonathan: Don't. speak. Spanish.

Ay caramba, honestly, ay caramba.

4 comments:

  1. That is stinkin' hilarious. Thanks for taking the time to share it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post just made me laugh out loud in my office. :) Thanks, Han. I hope your birthday was a happy one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated!!! Hope the panqueques were muy bien! (the the best I can do and I had to look up pancakes). Sorry maybe you need to start speaking to me in Spanish. I so wish I had learned a second language. He will appreciate it later :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I can see him at La Fiesta telling the waiters not to stress him out. Awkward.

    ReplyDelete